| DO YOU KNOW?
|SERVICES PROVIDED TO THE CITIZEN:
- Registration of documents.
- Issuing of certified copies of documents already registered.
- Issuing of encumbrance certificate.
- Registration of societies.
- Registration of firms.
|Monitoring of Chit activities.
|Issue of extracts of Births & Deaths.
- Registration of Hindu marriages solemnized.
- Filing of marriages under Tamilnadu Registration of Marriages Act.
- Solemnization and registration of special marriages
- Issuing of marriage certificate under respective marriages act.
|Issue of extracts of marriages registered under Indian Christian Marriages Act.
|Registration of marriages under Parsi Marriage & Divorce Act.
|THE SERVICES PROVIDED THROUGH THE DEDICATED 24*7 WEBSITE OF REGISTRATION DEPARTMENT www.tnreginet.net
- Online submission of EC application, Certified Copy Application, Marriage certificate
- Issue of Encumbrance Certificate /Marriage Certificate/Society Records/Certified
copy of document at door step.
- Details of Societies registered/chits registered.
- Details of Hindu Marriages registered.
- Guideline Value for the years 2002,2003 and 2007 and 2012 for all villages and towns.
|REGISTRATION OF DOCUMENTS.
|Tell me how?
|TO REGISTER A DOCUMENT:
- Before deciding to purchase a property, ascertain the transactions effected in respect
of the property proposed to be purchased by getting the encumbrance certificate.
|TO GET ENCUMBRANCE CERTIFICATE:
- Applications are available free of cost, in SRO and also available on the website
- Give all the particulars of the property in the application and tender the required
fee. If old Survey Number was there corresponding to the new Survey Number
it must be quoted otherwise the entries registered based on that old Survey Number
wonâ€™t come although the entries are within the applied period.
- You can also apply online for EC in respect of any Sub Registrar offices in TamilNadu.
EC will be delivered at your doorsteps on collection of fee & delivery charges.
- Statewide Guideline values are available on the Website.
- Guideline value register is available with the Registering officer
- The Guideline Value for the older year 2002 and 2003 and 2007 are also available on the Website.
Valuation of property:
- The Website enables you to ascertain the stamp duty / registration fees payable
on a particular property and for a particular deed.
- Ascertain the guideline value of the property and the stamp duty, registration
fees etc, to be paid from the Registering officer or from the website.
|Payment of Stamp Duty:
- E-Stamping facility is available in Chennai Corporation Areas and the
list of bank branches which is providing this facility is available in e-stam
- A list of licensed stamp vendors, is displayed on the Notice Board of every Sub
Registrar Office. The list is also available on website.
- They are licensed to sell stamps at the face value.
- If any extra demand is made, he is liable for criminal prosecution under the Act,
besides rendering his license cancelled.
- The Sub Registrars, Treasuries, and Assistant Superintendent of Stamps, Chennai
also sell stamp papers.
- Stamp duty may also be paid in cash or D.D.or treasury challan.
|DRAFTING OF DEEDS BY:
- Seller of the property for the sale deed and for other deeds the Executants of the
document if uses the model forms hosted on the website or available with Sub Registrar.
- Licensed Document Writers.
- Model draft deeds are available with registering officers and on the website.
|DETAILS TO BE GIVEN IN THE DOCUMENT:
- Name, Address, Phone Number and Identity Card with number and issuing authority of the Executants
& Claimants of the document.
- Consideration received for the sale.
- Full Details of the property including Building
- The executants should sign on each page and two witnesses should also affix signatures
at the end of documents.
- â€śIn respect of sale deeds both seller and buyer should sign the documents and appear
before the registering officer for registration of the document.â€ť
- â€śIn respect of power deeds both principal and power agent should sign the documents
and appear before the registering officer with two witnesses for registration of
the document. Principal, Power Agent and two witnesses must produce photo and Identity
Card and impression for witnesses also will be taken.â€ť
|WHEN TO BE PRESENTED FOR REGISTRATION:
- Within FOUR Months from the date of execution.
- â€śThe District Registrar may condone delay by four months beyond the period of four
months from the date of execution.â€ť
- No time limit for executed Wills.
|WHERE TO BE PRESENTED FOR REGISTRATION:
- DOCUMENTS RELATING TO PROPERTIES SITUATE IN TAMILNADU SHALL BE REGISTERED
IN TAMILNADU ONLY AT THE FOLLOWING OFFICES.
In the Sub-Registrarâ€™s office under the jurisdiction of which the property is situate,
- In the concerned District Registrarâ€™s office.
- â€śDOCUMENTS PERTAINING TO PROPERTIES IN TAMIL NADU, IF REGISTERED OUTSIDE
THE STATE, HAVE BEEN DECLARED AS NULL AND VOID WITH EFFECT FROM 29-3-1997".
- PRESENTATION OF DOCUMENTS
- Executed document.
- Patta Transfer application with court fee lable of Re. 7/- if the property is in
villages. M notice in the case of buildings in Municipal\Corporation area.
- Original Identity Card
Xerox copy of indent card for all executants of the document and
if the document is power of attorney in addition to the above the
Identity Card of witnesses should be enclosed as part of the document.
Details of PAN number of the Seller and Purchaser in case the value of the property
stated in the document exceeds Rs.5 lakhs.
- Form 60\61 Statement in case PAN/GIR Number not provided in the document.
- Application under Section 41 of Indian Stamp Act if the Stamp Duty is to be paid
- If the document is under valued three self addressed sufficiently stamped cover
to be sent to party by registered post by the Special Deputy Collector (Stamps)
and FMB\Topo sketch of that field.
- FMB / Topo sketch of the field if the field size is below 20 cents or if suspected
by the registering officer that the field is not agricultural and if agricultural
land is converted into house site.
- NOC from concerned if the land is Poramboke or belongs to Temple land, Wakf
Patta Pass Book/10(1) Statement received from Tashildar
through computer-for agricultural property in Notified 9
- Registration fee and Computerization fee of Rs 100\-.
- Sub-division fees etc.
- The Registering officer shall give receipts for all amounts paid to him.
|RETURN OF DOCUMENTS â€“ within a reasonable time depending upon the workload of
the Sub Registrar Office.
- If inspection of land and building is required for arriving at the value of the
property â€“ 15 days.
- Want of required certificates from the parties, at the instance of party.
- Non-payment of required duty or fee, at the instance of party.
- Want of clarification on the nature of documents â€“ 15 days.
- Reference u/s 47 A of the Indian Stamp Act or under S.O.744 â€“ 21 days.
|LAND INSPECTION. WHEN?
- Guideline value not available in the register.
- Change of usage from agricultural land to house site is suspected.
The Sub Registrars inspect the building and assess the value.
If any difference in value as set forth and value arrived at by following PWD norms
is found out, the differential duty and a compounding fee will be collected.
Assistant Executive Engineer attached to Registration Department will inspect the
building if building value is more than 25 lakhs or the building is special type
without the value limit or machineries involved.
No building inspection will be done if the property value is less than 2 lakhs in
the municipal and corporation areas and the value is less than 1 lakh in rural areas.
|REGISTRATION AT PRIVATE RESIDENCE:
| FOR WHOM?
- Sick people on production of medical certificate.
- Persons in the jail,
- Persons exempted from appearance in public place, Court etc.,
- Ladies exempted from appearance in public place by convention.
- On application and payment of additional fees
- Before or after office hours.
- REGISTRATION ON HOLIDAYS â€“ ONLY IN CASE OF URGENCY AND THE SUB REGISTRAR HAPPENS
TO BE IN OFFICE.
|REGISTRATION ON HOLIDAYS |
Executants fails to appear before the Sub Registrar for admission of execution of
Executants fails to appear before the Sub Registrar for admission of execution of
- Enquiry will be conducted and if the executant admits the execution the registering
officer will - register the document otherwise, the registration will be refused.
Against this refusal order, an appeal may be preferred within 30days to the District
Registrar, who will pass final orders.
|REGISTRATION OF WILL:
- Wills can be registered in any registration office.
- No time limit for presentation to register.
- Wills can be kept in a sealed cover and deposited with the District Registrar for
- The Person authorized may after the death of the testator, apply for opening the
will with the copy of death certificate and get it registered.
- Anybody can apply for, pay the required fee and get certified copy of documents
registered like Sale, Exchange, Mortgage etc.
- Copy of Will registered can be obtained only by the testator.
- After his demise, anybody can apply and get copy on production of death certificate
of the testator.
- Copy of Power of Attorney document can be given only to the parties to the document.
|REGISTRATION OF MARRIAGES:
|HINDU MARRIAGES REQUIREMENTS:
Bridegroom/Bride should have completed 21/18 years respectively.
Both of them should be Hindus/Sikhs/Jains/Buddhists.
Marriages solemnised under Hindu customs/ non-customary
Proof of marriage, age, residence, passport size photo of bride and bridegroom etc.
Any one of the following place should fall within the jurisdiction of the Registering
- Residence of bride.
- Residence of bridegroom.
- Place of Solemnization
|TAMILNADU REGISTRATION OF MARRIAGES ACT.
- Memorandum should be filed in duplicate.
Requirements of personnel law should be fulfilled.
Bride and bridegroom may be from any religion but should be citizen of India.
Memorandum should be filled with Sub Registrar within 90 days.
With payment of fine it can be filled in the 60 days.
Proof of marriage, age, residence, individual identity card for both and for two
witnesses, passport size photo for bride and bridegroom 4+4 required.
The marriages performed in Tamilnadu only can be filed. The memorandum should be
filed with the Sub Registrar in whose jurisdiction the place of Solemnization belongs.
- Marriages to be solemnized before the Registering officer or already solemnized
- Bridegroom/Bride should have completed 21/18 years respectively at the time of marriage
and the marriages already solemnized both should have completed 21 years at the
time of registration.
- Anyone of the following place should fall within the jurisdiction of the Registering
- Residence of bride.
- Residence of bridegroom.
- Solemnization place.
Notice of intended marriages should be given in triplicate to the jurisdictional
Sub Registrar for registration and the notices will be displayed in the Sub Registrar
Offices where bride and bridegroom have permanent residence. No need of personnel
appearance of bride and bridegroom is required for giving notice.
- If no objection for the marriage is received within 30 days from the notice, marriage
will be solemnized /registered and at that time the bride and bridegroom must present
- Marriages shall be solemnized/registered within 3 months from the date of Notice.
Otherwise fresh notice should be given.
|INDIAN CHRISTIAN MARRIAGE:
- Solemnised by Priests, Licencees and Marriage Registrars.
- Extract of marriages registered by licenced Marriage Registrars, Priests is given
in the office of the Inspector General of Registration, 100-Santhome High Road,
|BIRTH, DEATH CERTIFICATES
- Births and Deaths registers in respect of Villages are preserved in the Sub-Registry
- Extracts of Birth or Death from these registers may be obtained on payment of fees.
- Citizen are cautioned, before subscribing to a chit, to ascertain whether the chit
group is a registered one.
- Prior sanction order, commencement order are issued in the concerned District Registrar
- List of Chit Companies and Chit group sanctioned by the Registrars are available
on the website. http://www.tnreginet.net
- You must pay subscription in time.
- You have the right to demand the following from the Foreman.
- Registrarsâ€™ prior sanction for the conduct of chit - for perusal.
- Copy of bylaws.
- Participation in the auction and bid for the chit.
- Receipt of prize amount within 7 days of bid after furnishing the surety required.
- Receipt of dividend after payment of subscription periodically.
- if payment is not made by the company or subscriber do not pay the money after taking
prize money either of them can file a petition to the chit arbitrator with necessary
- Registration of society is compulsory where the total members are not less than
20 and the average Income or Expenditure is not less than Rs.10000/-.
- Registration of Society can be done in one day.
- Registered societies have certain legal requirements to be fulfilled within the
Filing of annual returns.
Filing of annual returns.
- Filing of change of members/members of Committee.
- Filing of change of place.
- Filing of Special Resolutions.
- Filing of Mortgage or charge created over the property of the society.
- Filing of satisfaction of mortgage or charge so created. If the abovementioned requirements
are not fulfilled, the registration is liable to be cancelled.
- The Funds of the Association/Society can be utilized only for the objects set forth
in the Memorandum.
- If a registered society is not functioning properly, the Government has the right
to dissolve the committee and appoint Special Officer to administer the societies.
â€śDetails of Registered Societies and their status are available on the website.â€ť
- Registration of firms having partners not less than Two may be done with the District
- In the application for registration, an Advocate or Chartered Accountant shall attest
the signature of each partner.
- Applications for Registration of firms may be submitted through post also. The registered
firm shall file an annual declaration to the effect that the firm was in existence
during the last year.
- Change of partners also should be filed.
|KEEPING CITIZEN INFORMED:
- The exclusive website http://www.tnreginet.net contains the latest information on every aspect of registration department.
- Notice Board containing all details is displayed in all the Sub Registrar Offices.
Sub Registrars are serving as guide to the registrant public.
- Suggestion boxes are provided in each Sub Registry office.
- All District and Zonal officers remain in office on all working Mondays to redress
grievances of the public.
- A Cell is functioning in the Head Quarter with a Public Relations Officer to redress
the grievances of the public. In each registration office, one Senior Assistant
has been identified as PRO who will answer the queries of registrants.
- Under the "Project STAR" registration offices are computerised. An interactive
is available to serve the needs of citizen.
- All the certified copies of extracts can be obtained at door delivery by submitting
a request online.
- Demand receipt for all kinds of payments made for securing services of the department.
- Citizen may mail their queries through the e-mail box available.
|WHEN THINGS GO WRONG:
- If any one fails to get a proper reply for his query.
- delay is caused for any of the time bound services in spite of fulfilling all the
requirements of law;
- he may contact personally or through correspondence, the District Registrar concerned
or the Zonal Deputy Inspectors General of Regn, or the Inspector General of Regn
- lodge his complaint in the suggestion box.
e-mail to: email@example.com .
When registration of a document is refused, one can file an appeal before the District
Registrar concerned within one month.
The District Registrar, on appeal, can condone delay in presentation of document
up to a period of 4 months on payment of fine.
If any one is aggrieved by the orders of the District Registrar demanding deficit
stamp duty and penalty imposed, he may prefer an appeal before the Inspector General
of Regn, who is the Chief Controlling Revenue Authority.
If the party is not inclined to accept the guideline value maintained in the Registration
offices, his document will be referred to the Special Deputy Collector (Stamps)
for determination of market value who will inspect the property and determine the
If the difference of duty fixed by the Special Deputy Collector(Stamps) is not paid
within 2 months from the date of order, 1% interest is chargeable from the date
Appeal against the final order of the Special Deputy Collector (Stamps) may be preferred
to Chief Controlling Revenue Authority (Inspector General of Registration) Chennai,
28 within 2 months from the date of order passed by Special Deputy Collector (Stamps).
An appeal provision is also available against the orders of a Collector on the application
of refund of spoiled or unused stamps, before the Inspector General of Registration.
Appeal against the orders of Registrar on the cancellation of Registration of a
Society, refusal of registration or declaration of society as defunct may be made
to the Inspector General of Regn.
For further details â€“ visit us at http://www.tnreginet.net
- Inspector General of Registration
- Officials of Registration Department are inclined to give any sort of information
- Notice Board containing all details are displayed in all the Sub Registrar Offices.
- Sub Registrars are at the disposal of the person moving him and they are to give
information required during office hours.
- They are serving as information counters for the registrant public.
- Suggestion boxes are provided in each Sub Registrar Office.
- The registrants may lodge any suggestion/complaint which will be looked into with
care and steps will be taken to redress the grievances or implement the suggestions
if found suitable.
- All District and Zonal officers will remain in office on all working Mondays to
hear grievances of the public.
- At Chennai, an Additional Inspector General of Registration is designated as Additional
Inspector General of Registration (Law & Public Relations) to meet the public.
- A public information cell is functioning at the Inspector General of Registration,
headed by a Public Relations Officer.